Updated September 2, 2018
Personally and Non-Personally Identifying Information
Certain visitors to PhotosPlusWords.com choose to interact with PhotosPlusWords.com in ways that require PhotosPlusWords.com to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that PhotosPlusWords.com gathers depends on the nature of the interaction.
PhotosPlusWords.com collects both:
- Non-personally identifying information typical of most websites. For example, browser type, language preference, referring site, the date and time of visitors, and the duration of their visits.
- Personally identifying information like your IP address, your email address, your membership/access level, and so on.
This information is used to:
- Better understand how visitors/customers use the website.
- Improve the overall visitor/customer experience.
- Complete specific user-site interactions, such as a purchase transaction or a given field update within a course.
PhotosPlusWords.com requests and collects the following information when a visitor purchases a product and registers:
- User email address
- First name
- Last name
- Checkbox confirmation of user agreement with PhotosPlusWords.com Terms of Service & Use
- Membership/access type(s) based upon purchase type(s) (for example, photography1)
In addition, we collect the following if a visitor or registered user opts to do so:
- Whether you'd like to receive guides from us (optional)
- Whether you'd like to receive news from us (optional)
- Tracking status for course modules or project steps (optional)
- Current projects (by name) you'd like to track (optional)
- Comments (optional)
- Media (optional)
We DO NOT request or collect credit card information. We use a third party billing agent (PayPal) to process payments made for services or products offered by us.
How PhotosPlusWords.com Collects Information
PhotosPlusWords.com collects information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with PhotosPlusWords.com. This includes collecting information through:
- List forms: The site uses checklist software to enable course and project tracking by registered users. The software saves the status of the checklist for logged in users in the database if the registered user chooses to track project or course status. The user may change the status of their lists at any time.
- Media: If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website. Further, posting to the site gallery makes EXIF data, such as camera brand, ISO, and other photo details immediately viewable to the public.
Who Sees Your Data and Where It's Sent
Website administrators can see and edit information collected. In addition, the following third parties collect and/or manage some of your data directly:
- ICDSoft: The site's hosting service does collect some data to ensure infrastructure and network security. Please see their policy here: https://www.icdsoft.com/en/privacy
How Long Do We Keep Your Data?
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile and this is retained indefinitely. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Users may delete their entire account at any time. However, account deletion is permanent and orders and uploaded content will NOT be recoverable once the account is deleted.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
If you have an account on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. Further, you may log in, access Your Dashboard and either edit your personal information or delete your account. However, account deletion is permanent and orders and uploaded content will NOT be recoverable once the account is deleted.
PhotosPlusWords.com takes reasonable measures to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information and and will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone, unless it's:
- Required to do so by law, or when PhotosPlusWords.com believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of PhotosPlusWords.com, third parties, or the public at large. (Please refer to the Terms of Service and Use for more details.)
- Requested by employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations that need to know the information in order to process it on PhotosPlusWords.com's behalf in order to provide services available via the website.
Further, we rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- Our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information and services to you
- Explicit consent that you have given
- Legal obligations
You may have certain rights under data protection law in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you may have a right to:
- Request a copy of personal information we hold about you
- Ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or independently correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete
- Ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you from live systems, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information
- Object to our processing of your personal information
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing)